By Eliza Sparacino
Title: J. Ottis Adams Papers, 1882-1951
Primary Creator: Adams, J. Ottis (John Ottis) (1851-1927)
Extent: 2.5 Linear Feet
Arrangement: The collection is arranged into three series: Personal and Professional Materials, Exhibition Materials, and Journals.
Subjects: Adams, J. Ottis (John Ottis) (1851-1927), Art, American -- Indiana, Art Association of Indianapolis, Indiana, Artists--Indiana--Biography, John Herron Art Institute, Society of Western Artists
Forms of Material: brochures, checklists, clippings (information artifacts), correspondence, exhibition catalogs, notes
John Ottis Adams was born in 1851 in Amity, Indiana, and studied painting at the South Kensington Art School in London and the Royal Academy in Munich. He was one of the original five artists of the Hoosier Group. Adams began an art school in Muncie, Indiana, where he met his future wife, Winifred Brady, who was one of his pupils. Their home, The Hermitage, in Brookville, Indiana, was known as the "Indiana Barbizon" and hosted artists and summer art classes. Adams was one of the founders of the Society of Western Artists and was involved in the establishment of the John Herron Art Institute in Indianapolis. This collection of materials includes exhibition catalogues related to Adams' professional interests and many journal articles describing Adams' work and the exhibition of his paintings.
Scope and Contents of the Materials
The first series, Personal and Professional Materials, includes business cards, clippings, a postcard from the artist Clifton Wheeler, small black and white reproductions of the J. Ottis Adams painting The Gleaners, 1886, and an anonymous painting of Mary Queen of Scots, as well as the Adams family's inventories of the collection. The second series, Exhibition Materials, consists of exhibition catalogues, announcements, and art association bulletins. The last series, Journals, includes journals with articles about J. Ottis Adams, Winifred Adams, and other artists of the Hoosier Group.
Collection Historical Note
The landscape painter John Ottis Adams was born in 1851 in Amity, Indiana, a small town south of Indianapolis. He attended Wabash College in 1871, but left a year later for the South Kensington Art School in London to study under John Parker. Adams returned to Indiana in 1876, eventually settling in Muncie.
In 1880 Adams returned to Europe, traveling to the Royal Academy in Munich to study with Gyula Benczúr. In Munich, Adams met two other painters from Indiana, Theodore Clement (T. C.) Steele and William Forsyth. After seven years in Munich, Adams returned to Muncie and opened an art school there with Forsyth. Adams also taught classes in Union City and Fort Wayne, Indiana.
In 1895 Adams, Forsyth and Steele were invited to exhibit at the Athenaeum Building in Chicago with two other Indiana painters, Otto Stark and Richard B. Gruelle. The exhibition, sponsored by the Central Art Association of Chicago, was named "The Hoosier Group," and the term was associated with the five artists throughout their artistic careers. Also in Chicago that year, Adams, Forsyth and Steele joined with other regional artists to form the Society of Western Artists. The mission of the Society was to promote Midwestern art and exhibitions of work by Society members and other artists circulated through the region annually. Adams was president of the Society of Western Artists from 1908-1910.
Adams and Steele purchased an estate together in Brookville, Indiana in 1897, which was later named "The Hermitage." The Hermitage hosted visiting artists and held summer art classes for the public. A decade later Adams became the sole owner of the property and The Hermitage became one of the Adams' family residences.
A year after acquiring the Hermitage, Adams married a still-life painter from Muncie, Winifred Brady. Winifred was the sister of Elizabeth Brady, who married Frank C. Ball, co-founder of the Ball Brothers Glass Manufacturing Business (now Ball Corporation) and one of the founders of Ball State University. Winifred met Adams in 1889 when she was a student at the Muncie art school he founded.
Adams was instrumental in establishing the John Herron Art Institute in Indianapolis in 1902 and taught drawing and painting there until 1906. During this time, the Adams family began summering in Leland, Michigan. By 1910 Adams was in poor health and began spending the winters in Florida. He moved back to Indiana permanently in 1926 and passed away a year later. Adams is buried in Muncie.
Indianapolis Museum of Art Archives
Collection is open for research.
Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder. Please contact the Archivist for more information.
[Title of item], [Date], [Container information], J. Ottis Adams Papers (M001), IMA Archives, Indianapolis Museum of Art, Indianapolis, IN.
Box and Folder Listing Browse by Series:
[Series I: Personal and Professional Materials
[Series II: Exhibition Materials
[Series III: Journals
Browse by Series:
- Series I: Personal and Professional Materials
- Box 1
- Folder 1: American Artists' Club, entertainment and informal dance, March 2, 1886
- Admission card and programme.
- Folder 2: Archive inventories, n.d.
- Inventory details written on backs of book plates and copies of handwritten documents; some items have additional descriptive notes.
- Folder 3: Biographical Dictionary Clippings, 1905-1913
The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Volume 21, undated
The Artist’s Yearbook, 1905-1906
American Blue Book: Men of 1913, 1913
- Folder 4: Charni's Americana, Card, n.d.
- Reproduction on card of J. Ottis Adams pen drawing.
- Folder 5: Clippings, 1904-1910
- J. Ottis Adams exhibitions and prize announcements (some with handwritten notes); Article on Michelangelo from Blackwood’s Magazine, undated; Clipping with handwritten note, Indianapolis News, 2/3/1906; The Johnson, Muncie, Ind., card with handwritten note: "Where J. O. Adams had studio 1895-98".
- Folder 6: Clifton Wheeler postcard, 1921
- Postcard from Clifton Wheeler to J. Ottis Adams and Otto Stark, January 9, 1921.
- Folder 7: Ella Bond Johnston card, ca. 1916
- Folder 8: Gallerie Classischer Meister card, n.d.
- Folder 9: The Gleaners reproduction, n.d.
- Reproduction mounted on board of The Gleaners, 1886 (date is not inscribed). Inscription on recto, top right: "Ball State Univ / Art Gallery 8(?)/72"; verso: "The Gleaners / By J. Ottis Adams".
- Folder 10: Mary Queen of Scots reproduction, n.d.
- Reproduction mounted on board. Inscription on verso in ink: "Mary Queen of Scots, going to her execution at Fotheringay Castle, Northamptonshire, England, Feb. 8, 1589" / "New Year’s Day, 1890"; bottom left: "Mrs Ryan’s picture now owned by Mrs Beatty".
- Folder 11: The Society of Western Artists letterhead, n.d.
- Two leaves.
- Folder 12: Summer sketching class in Brookville, 1910-1912
June 15 - August 13,1910 [15 brochures]
June 12 - July 31, 1911 [3 brochures]
June 17 - August 30,1912 [3 brochures]
- Series II: Exhibition Materials
- Box 1
- Folder 13: 50th Annual Convention of the Indiana State Teacher's Assocation, Indianapolis, December 29-30, 1903
- [two copies]
- Folder 14: American Watercolor Society, 15th Annual Exhibition, 1882
- Exhibition closed February 25, 1882.
- Folder 15: Art Association of Indianapolis, Annual Exhibition, 1890, 1896, 1912, 1921
7th Annual, April 25 - May 17, 1890 [two copies; one copy handwritten note on first page, name on cover of second copy]
13th Annual, May 1-24, 1896
19th Annual, May 6-27, 1902 [see folder 82: 6th Annual Exhibition of The Society of Western Artists, Indianapolis]
21st Annual, February 7-26, 1905 [see folder 82: 9th Annual Exhibition of The Society of Western Artists, Indianapolis]
27th Annual Exhibition, December 31,1911 - January 29, 1912
36th Annual Exhibition, March 6 - April 3, 1921 [two copies]
- Folder 16: Art Association of Indianapolis, Bulletin, 1925-1927
Vol. 12, No. 2 (February 1925)
Vol. 13, No. 1 (January 1926)
Vol. 13, No. 2 (March 1926) [two copies]
Vol. 13, No. 5-8 (November 1926)
Vol. 14, No. 4 (October and November, 1927) [handwritten note on cover: “Memorial Exhibition J.O.A.”]
Vol. 14, No. 5 (December 1927)
- Folder 17: Art Association of Indianapolis, Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture in the Permanent Collection, Fall 1909
- Insert: announcement for October and November 
- Box 2
- Folder 18: Art Association of Indianapolis, Exhibit of the Recent Work of Home Artists, Propylaeum, February 6-14, 1897
- Folder 19: Art Association of Indianapolis, John Herron Art Institute, Inaugural Exhibition, November 20-December 31, 1906
- Folder 20: Art Association of Indianapolis, Memorial Exhibition, Theodore C. Steele, 1847-1926, December 1926
- Draft copy (?) [unpaginated; handwritten notes on sheets 0-3, 5]
- Folder 21: Art Association of Indianapolis, New Art School Building, September 1929
- Brochure with building diagram.
- Folder 22: The A.I.C.: 35th Annual Exhibition of American Paintings and Sculpture, November 2-December 10, 1922
- Folder 23: The A.I.C.: Annual Exhibition of Oil Paintings and Sculpture by American Artists, 1897-1898
10th Annual, November 2-December 12, 1897
11th Annual, November 15-December 18, 1898
- Folder 24: B.R. Fitz, Fifth Avenue Art Galleries, April 21-22, 1892
- Catalogue of Paintings by the Late B. R. Fitz, Fifth Avenue Art Galleries.
- Folder 25: Ball State Teacher's College, 1951
Clipping from Ball State News regarding Ball Family gift to Ball State Teacher’s College, March 16, 1951
“Beneficence Continues,” Program, March 18, 1951
- Folder 26: Bay City Art Club, First Annual Exhibition of Paintings, October 27-November 5, 1910
- First Annual Exhibition of Paintings under the Direction of Bay City Art Club, Michigan [unpaginated; handwritten notations on both sides of leaf 7, insert: Handicraft Guild of Minneapolis, April, 1911].
- Folder 27: Bertha Lacey, Exhibition of Paintings, April 28-29, 1927
- The Federation of Women’s Clubs, Exhibition of Paintings by Bertha Lacey
- Folder 28: Brooklyn Museum, Exhibition of Paintings in Oil by American and European Artists, 1925-1926
- November 20, 1925-January 3, 1926
- Folder 29: Chicago Galleries Association, First Semi-annual Exhibition by the Artist Members, March 15-April 15, 1926
- [Unpaginated; handwritten numbers at bottom of sheets 4, 6]
- Folder 30: Cincinnati Art Museum, Exhibition of Woman’s Art Club, November 5-21, 1910
- Folder 31: Cincinnatti Museum, Annual Exhibition of American Art, 1900-1901, 1909-1911
7th Annual, May 19 - July 9, 1900
8th Annual, May 18-July 8, 1901
16th Annual, May 22-July 20, 1909
17th Annual, May 21-July 20, 1910 [handwritten note bottom of p. 27]
18th Annual, May 20-July 22, 1911
- Folder 32: Cincinnati Museum Association, Catalogue of Works by Mr. L. H. Meakin, November 19-December 18, 1898
- Box 3
- Folder 33: Cincinnati Museum Association, Sixteenth Annual Report, 1896
- Printed 1897 [handwritten calculation on p. 15]
- Folder 34: Cincinnati Museum Association, Spring Exhibition, 1896-1898
Catalogue of Spring in the Art Museum, May 16-June 30, 1896
Spring Exhibition, May 22-July 5, 1897
Spring Exhibition, May 21-July 5, 1898
- Folder 35: Expositions at Buenos Aires and Santiago, International Fine Arts, United States Section
- Catalogue of works shown in the United States Section, International Exposition at Buenos Aires and Santiago [two items]
- Folder 36: Fort Wayne Art School and Museum, Exhibitions, 1910, 1912, 1923
First Annual Exhibition of the Art School of Fort Wayne, March 9-March 20, 1910
Catalogue of Paintings Selected and Arranged by the Art Committee, I.S.F.C., May 9-15, 1912
Souvenir of the Formal Opening of the Fort Wayne Art School and Museum, March, 1923
- Folder 37: Franklin College, Anuual Exhibition of Paintings by Indiana Artists, 1929-1930
Exhibition of Paintings by Indiana Artists at Franklin College, December 1-8, 1929
Second Annual Exhibition of Paintings by Indiana Artists at Franklin College, December 4-21, 1930
- Folder 38: Garden, Flower and Landscape Paintings by Frank Galsworthy, March 26-April 7, 1928
- An Exhibition of Garden, Flower and Landscape Paintings by Frank Galsworthy, Aeolian Hall, New York
- Folder 39: Gary Public Schools, Art Exhibition, 1912, 1921
Catalogue of Paintings Selected and Arranged by the Art Committee, I.S.F.C., Gary Public Schools, May 9-12, 1912
Gary Public School’s Second Annual Art Exhibition, 1921 [one leaf]
- Folder 40: Gill’s 28th Annual Exhibition, Original Paintings, February 11-March 4, 1905
- Folder 41: Hoosier Paintings: The Dailey Family Memorial, Indiana University, June 1946
- Folder 42: Hoosier Salon, Fort Wayne Art School and Museum, n.d.
- Second Hoosier Salon, undated (April 1-May 1), Fort Wayne Art School and Museum [2 copies]
- Folder 43: Hoosier Salon, Marshall Field & Company Galleries, March 9-19, 1925
- Catalogue of the Hoosier Salon, Picture Galleries of Marshall Field & Company
- Folder 44: Hoosier Women in Art and Hoosier Women's Book Fair, n.d.
- The Kealing Fine Arts Studio, Indianapolis, March 14-26
- Folder 45: Indiana Art: Contemporary and Retrospective, April 27-May 9, 1903
- Catalogue of an Exhibit of Indiana Art: Contemporary and Retrospective, Tomlinson Hall, Indianapolis
- Folder 46: Indiana Artists: Special Exhibit, n.d.
- Folder 47: Indiana Artists, Traveling Exhibition, 1911-1912
1911: Greencastle, January 1-12; Seymour, January 19-26; Marion, February 2-9; Peru, February 16-23; South Bend, March 2-9; Valparaiso, March 16-23; Logansport, March 30-April 6; Auburn, April 19-27; Tipton, May 4-11; Crawfordsville, May 18-25; Connersville, June 1-8
1912: Winchester, February 15-21; Connersville, February 29-March 6; Seymour, March 14-20; Greencastle, March 28-April 3; Tipton, April 11-17; Logansport, April 25-May 1; Gary, May 9-15
- Folder 48: Indiana Artists Club Program, 1932-1933
- Folder 49: J. Ottis Adams and Otto Stark at the Leland Hall, n.d.
- Exhibition announcement and brochures, August 3-15, Leelanau Enterprise
- Folder 50: John Herron Art Institute, Announcement, The Art School, 1913-1914
- Announcement, The Art School of the John Herron Art Institute, Indianapolis, 1913-1914 [insert: John Herron Art Institute application slip; insert: paper with pencil marks]
- Folder 51: John Herron Art Institute, Annual Exhibition of Works by Indiana Artists, 1911-1912, 1915, 1922
4th Annual, May 6-June 4, 1911
5th Annual, April 13-May 5, 1912 [marks next to names in margins]
8th Annual, March 5-April 4,1915
15th Annual, March 5-April 22, 1922
- Folder 52: John Herron Art Institute, Indiana Centennial Exhibit of Fine Arts and Home Industries, October 1-31, 1916
- Folder 53: John Herron Art Institute, Memorial Exhibition of Paintings of John Ottis Adams, October, 1927
- [two copies]
- Folder 54: John Herron Art Institute, Paintings and Objects of Art from the Collection of Frank C. Ball, May 5, 1918
- [two small pamphlets and one catalogue]
- Box 4
- Folder 55: John Herron Art Museum advertisement, n.d.
- Advertisement for John Herron Art Museum, “See the Art of the World at Home”
- Folder 56: Kansas City, Fourth Annual Exhibition of the Art Club, November 26-December 8, 1900
- Fourth Annual Exhibition of the Art Club and Kansas City Chapter of American Institute of Architects
- Folder 57: Lafayette, Fourth Annual Exhibition of Art Association, March 21-April 4, 1912
- Folder 58: Louisiana Purchase Exposition souvenir, Indiana Building, 1904
- Souvenir, Indiana Building, Louisiana Purchase Exposition [insert: small unlabeled black and white photograph; insert: List of Pictures, Indiana Building]
- Folder 59: Marion, Fourth Annual Art Exhibition of the Public Library, May 19-June 2, 1908
- Folder 60: The Months and Seasons (Recent Work of John Ottis Adams), Brookville, April 2-9, 1912
- The Months and Seasons, being an exhibition of some recent work of John Ottis Adams
- Folder 61: Muncie, Indiana: The Conversation Club, 1901-1902
- Folder 62: Muncie Art Association, Annual Exhibition, 1907-1908, 1912, 1914
2nd Annual Exhibition of Art Association of Muncie, Indiana, Commercial Club, May 16-27, 1907
3rd Annual Exhibition of Art Association of Muncie, Indiana, Commercial Club, May 14-25, 1908
7th Annual Exhibition of Art Association of Muncie, Indiana, Commercial Club, February 1-14, 1912 [J. Ottis Adams page has been removed]
9th Annual Exhibition of Art Association of Muncie, Indiana, Commercial Club, February 12-22, 1914
- Folder 63: Muncie Art Students League, First Annual Exhibition of Original Paintings of the Western Artists, December 4-18, 1899
- Folder 64: Muncie Art Students League Programme, 1896-1902
- Folder 65: National Academy of Design, 73rd Annual Exhibition Illustrated Catalogue, March 28-May 14, 1898
- Folder 66: The Nixon Collection of Paintings by Indiana Artists, Indiana University, May 3-23, 1921
- Folder 67: Otto Stark, Exhibition at Palmer House, 1913, n.d.
Announcement card, February 17-March 5
Pictures by Otto Stark at the Palmer House, July-August, 1913
- Folder 68: Panama-Pacific International Exposition, Department of Fine Arts, San Francisco, 1915
- [two items]
- Folder 69: The Portfolio Club Season Programme, 1894-1898, 1901-1902
Season of 1894-95
Season of 1896-97
Season of 1897-98
Season of 1901-02 [handwritten on back: Mr. Adams –]
- Folder 70: Red Cross Benefit Auction, n.d.
- Folder 71: Representative Works of Contemporary Swedish Artists, 1895-1896
- Box 5
- Folder 72: Richmond, Retrospective Exhibition of Paintings by John Elwood Bundy, Public Art Gallery, September 17-October 11, 1926
- Folder 73: Richmond, Rotary Club, Exhibition of Paintings by Indiana Artists, May 26-June 2, 1927
- Folder 74: Richmond Art Association, Annual Art Exhibition, 1899-1901, 1903-1905
3rd Annual, June 12-26, 1899
4th Annual, June 11-26, 1900
5th Annual, June 11-25, 1901
7th Annual, June 16-30, 1903
8th Annual, June 7-21, 1904
9th Annual, June 6-20, 1905
- Folder 75: The Richmond Art Association, Annual Exhibition, 1906, 1909, 1911, 1913-1915, 1917, 1927
10th Annual Exhibition, June 12-26, 1906
13th Annual Art Exhibition, June 8-22, 1909 [unpaginated; handwritten address on sheet 28]
15th Annual Art Exhibition, November 21-December 26, 1911
17th Annual Art Exhibition, November 14-December 1, 1913 [two copies; one has “Yaryaw” handwritten inside back cover, the other has notes on the back cover]
18th Annual Art Exhibition, September 22-October 14, 1914
19th Annual Exhibition, October 29-November 23, 1915
20th Annual Exhibition, February 2-28, 1917 [two copies; one with handwritten notes on back cover]
30th Annual Exhibition of Paintings by Indiana Painters, April 10-May 3, 1927
- Folder 76: Richmond Art Association, Paintings Lent from the Permanent Collection, n.d.
- Folder 77: Richmond and Leland, Michigan exhibition ephemera, 1913, n.d.
Announcement cards for An Exhibition of Paintings, Principally Michigan Subjects, by J. Ottis Adams and Otto Stark, Leland Michigan, August 13-24 [2 cards]
List of pictures, undated [6 leaves]
Public Art Gallery, Richmond, Exhibition of Paintings by Mr. and Mrs. J. Ottis Adams, February 12-March 5, 1913 [4 copies]
- Folder 78: The Society of Western Artists, Annual Exhibition, Chicago, 1898-1899, 1901, 1904, 1906, 1910-1912
Art Institute of Chicago, 2nd Annual, February 24-March 14, 1898
Art Institute of Chicago, 3d Annual, February 28-March 19, 1899
Art Institute of Chicago, 5th Annual, February 28-March 13, 1901
Art Institute of Chicago, 8th Annual, December 29-January 24, 1904
Art Institute of Chicago, 11th Annual, December 6-26, 1906
Art Institute of Chicago, 14th Annual Exhibition, February 8-27, 1910
Art Institute of Chicago, 15th Annual Exhibition, April 4-30, 1911
Art Institute of Chicago, 16th Annual Exhibition, March 5-27, 1912
Art Institute of Chicago, 17th Annual Exhibition, December 11-29, 1912 [pencil marks by names on p. 40; handwritten notes]
- Folder 79: The Society of Western Artists, Annual Exhibition, Cincinnati, 1897, 1901-1902, 1904, 1908-1911
Art Museum, 1st Annual, February 7-28, 1897 [pencil marks by names in margins]
Art Museum, 2nd Annual, October 17-November 8, 1897
Art Museum, 5th Annual, December 8, 1900-January 1, 1901
Cincinnati Museum, 6th Annual, January 11-February 2, 1902
Cincinnati Museum, 9th Annual, November 12-December 1, 1904
Cincinnati Museum, 12th Annual, January 4-26, 1908
Cincinnati Museum, 13th Annual, February 27-March 21, 1909
Cincinnati Art Museum, 14th Annual, April 3-24, 1910 [handwritten note inside back cover]
Cincinnati Museum, 16th Annual, December 2-24, 1911
- Box 6
- Folder 80: The Society of Western Artists, Annual Exhibition, Cleveland, 1897
- New England Building, Cleveland, 1st Annual Exhibition, March 29-April 26, 1897 [pencil marks by names in margins]
- Folder 81: The Society of Western Artists, Annual Exhibition, Detroit, 1897, 1903, 1910
Detroit Museum of Art, 1st Annual Exhibition, May 27-June 15, 1897
Detroit Museum of Art, 7th Annual Exhibition, April 1903
Detroit Institute of Art, 14th Annual Exhibition, May 7-June 1, 1910
- Folder 82: The Society of Western Artists, Annual Exhibition, Indianapolis, 1897, 1902, 1905, 1909-1910, 1914
Propylaeum of Indianapolis, 1st Annual Exhibition, March 5-19, 1897 [pencil marks by names in margins]
Art Association of Indianapolis, 6th Annual, May 6-27, 1902 [Cross-listed as 19th Annual Exhibition of Art Association of Indianapolis]
Art Association of Indianapolis, 9th Annual, February 7-26, 1905 [Cross-listed as 21st Annual Exhibition of Art Association of Indianapolis]
John Herron Art Institute, 13th Annual, March 31-May 3, 1909
John Herron Art Institute, 14th Annual, March 5-28, 1910
John Herron Art Institute, 15th Annual, December 4-25, 1910
John Herron Art Institute, 18th Annual, February 4-March 1, 1914
- Folder 83: The Society of Western Artists, Annual Exhibition, Louisville, 1910
- The Louisville Art Association, 14th Annual Exhibition, January 12-31, 1910 [handwritten note on cover; red marks next to names]
- Folder 84: The Society of Western Artists, Annual Exhibition, Pittsburgh, 1910
- Art Society of Pittsburgh, Exhibition of Paintings by the Society of Western Artists, February 1-21, 1909
- Folder 85: The Society of Western Artists, Annual Exhibition, St. Louis, 1897, 1908-1909, 1911-1912
St. Louis Museum of Art, 1st Annual, January 8-February 1, 1897 [pencil marks by names in margins]
St. Louis Museum of Fine Arts, 13th Annual, December 6, 1908
City Art Museum of St. Louis, 14th Annual, December 12, 1909
City Art Museum of St. Louis, 15th Annual, January 8, 1911
City Art Museum of St. Louis, 16h Annual, May 12, 1912 [insert: card for Jeffrey A. Brown, Curator]
- Folder 86: The Society of Western Artists, Annual Exhibition Rules, 1900, 1902
5th Annual Exhibition, 1900, two blue leaves, five cream leaves [two documents]
6th Annual Exhibition, 1902, two white leaves, two pink leaves [two documents]
- Folder 87: The Society of Western Artists, Exhibition Entry Conditions, 1910
- Folder 88: Universal Exposition, St. Louis, Department of Art, Official Catalogue of Exhibits, 1904
- Official Catalogue of Exhibition, Department of Fine Art, First Edition, Universal Exposition, St. Louis
- Folder 89: W. Forsyth Exhibition, January 4-8, 1894
- Announcement card for W. Forsyth Exhibition, Hanover, Indiana
- Series III: Journals
- Box 6
- Folder 90: All Arts Magazine, April 1926
- [Vol. 2, No. 4]
- Folder 91: The American Student of Art, June 1906
- Published by the Art Students League of New York [Vol. 1, No. 6]
- Folder 92: Art and Progress, April 1912
- [Vol. 3, No. 6]
- Folder 93: Brush and Pencil, December 1898
- [Vol. 3, No. 3]
- Folder 94: A Catalogue of Rare and Valuable Works of the Fine Arts, March-June 1904
A Catalogue of Rare and Valuable Works of The Fine Arts, Bernard Quaritch, No. 228, London, March 1904
A Catalogue of Rare and Valuable Works of The Fine Arts, Bernard Quaritch, No. 229, London, April 1904
A Catalogue of Rare and Valuable Works of The Fine Arts, Bernard Quaritch, No. 231, London, June 1904
- Folder 95: The Cross Keys of Kappa Kappa Kappa Society, September 1939
- The Cross Keys of KKK Sorority (Tri Kappa) [addressed to “Mrs. J. Otis Adams”; noted on front “Article about Hermitage”]
- Box 7
- Folder 96: Fine Arts Journal, 1908, 1909
[Vol. 19, No. 1 (January 1908)] [handwritten note p. 27; markings in margins, p. 29-31; insert: Chicago Sunday Tribune, November 5, 1933, clipping of J. Ottis Adams color reproduction]
[Vol. 20, No. 1 (January 1909)]
- Folder 97: Harper’s Weekly, May 8, 1891
- [New York, Vol. 35, No. 1794]
- Folder 98: The Indiana Woman, October 8, 1898
- [Vol. 6, No. 22] [handwritten on cover: page 11/14]
- Folder 99: Metropolitan, June 1897
- [Vol. 5, No. 5] [handwritten on cover: Art Students League; bookmark p. 419, handwritten in margin: Winnie]
- Folder 100: Modern Art, 1893, 1894
[Vol. 1, No. 3 (Summer 1893)] [unpaginated; J. Ottis Adams reproduction, sheet 29]
[Vol. 1, No. 4 (Autumn 1893)] [insert: clipping from The Art Interchange]
[Vol. 11, No. 1 (Winter 1894)]
- Folder 101: The Monitor Magazine, December 1902
- [Vol. 12, No. 5] [insert: section from Scribner’s Magazine, Vol. 19, No. 1 (January 1896)]
- Folder 102: The Nationalist, July 1890
- [Vol. 2, No. 8] [handwritten note on cover and illegible signature on back cover]
- Folder 103: The New Era, March 23, 1912
- [Vol. 2, No. 12] [noted on front page: page 11; article on J. O. A.]
- Folder 104: The Reader, May 1906
- [Vol. 7, No. 6] [J. Ottis Adams color reproduction, p. 635]
- Folder 105: The Sketchbook, 1903, 1906, 1097
[Vol. 3, No. 4 (December 1903)]
[Vol. 5, No. 5 (January 1906)] [noted on cover: page 227; J. Ottis Adams reproduction]
[Vol. 7, No. 1 (December 1907)] [handwritten notes: p. 14: This is the back of our yard.; p. 15: Mr. Stark painted this in Southport.; p. 25: I suppose this was painted (?) in …ton(?) where M…(?) now lives.]
- Folder 106: The Vagabond, October 1924
- [Vol. 2, No. 1]
[Series I: Personal and Professional Materials
[Series II: Exhibition Materials
[Series III: Journals